Friday, January 27, 2012

Cranky Luther

I was regularly told by older folks that babies coming back from holidays, will be 'hong sim' (in Hokkien roughly means - over stimulated). And Luther prove that 100%.

On the 3rd day of Chinese New Year, we returned back to KL from Port Dickson. All of us were tired from the traveling and the hustle and bustle of CNY. Luther was unusually cranky and wouldn't take his usual 4oz on his usually accurate timing. Believe me, my baby do not miss his feeding for anything other than sleep and even that is occasional. Actually, he hasn't been feeding well starting 2nd day of CNY taking only 1 - 2 oz each time.

My so-called Uniform
Yu Yee Oil
Nonetheless, he was still smiley the whole afternoon and able to 'converse' with us UNTIL evening approached. I wash and change him out of his 'uniform' and into his regular comfortable pajamas top, yet, he was screaming endlessly. I though he might want direct latching and I did. He didn't take that well too. Than I recall, he hasn't poo-ed today! So I try tapping his little tummy and found it a little gassy. As usual, taught by mom, I rubbed YuYee Oil on his tummy, his back and on both his feet. Well, he did fart a lot but that didn't stop him from crying still.

His crying this time was scary to me and panicking my hubby cause his face was turning really red and his big big tears were rolling down his eyes and there was absolutely NOTHING we could do. I was already in tears feeling really rotten not being able to help my own son to relieve whatever that was bothering him. We called my mom in Singapore (she is there for holiday and to attend my uncle's birthday dinner). In tears I was asking her for advices and she said if he hasn't poo-ed, we just need to wait. He is also not eating because he is not comfortable. Just remember to feed his, even if it's 1 or 2 oz milk along with water to ease him passing motion. We wanted to wait but I was in tears and Luther was also crying. My hubby finally decided that we just bring him to the Dr to confirm he is just uncomfortable because he haven't poo-ed and eliminate other possibilities (i.e. constipation, pain, any discomfort). 

Papa trying to get Luther to take some milk
In Assunta Hospital (no regular Children Clinic nearby, so best option was to go back to the clinic in Assunta), Dr Vijaya checked on Luther and found that there was nothing wrong with him. So, Luther was just really uncomfortable being unable to poo-ed that day (it's not constipation too!). Dr Vijaya called Luther's Pediatrician, Dr Paran, to double check whether to give Luther any medication. Luther was given Duphalac to soften his poo (not a laxative). And true enough, we when back home and feed him some milk and than 2.5ml Duphalac. Within 15 minutes, his 1st poo (smelly as it is) made an exit! We were all relieve (inclusive of our Indonesian maid) and Luther was able to smile a little again.
The smile we missed the whole evening!!
That night, he still didn't take his regular 4oz but we were extremely relieve that he is taking his 2 oz without struggling and slept through the rest of the night soundly without crying or agitation. Nonetheless, Luther is still 'hong sim' the next day. Talking a lot, probably describing to his friends (toys) his adventures for the pass few days.

Our Luther's Charming smile is back!

No comments:

Post a Comment