Sunday, November 6, 2011

Start of Luther's Journey

We were hoping for natural birth, in fact, we attempted natural birth. What an experience! I was induced at about 7.30am on 18 October after my bath in the morning hoping that Luther will arrive in the afternoon. I was already 3 cm dilated the evening before (at about 8pm; 17 Oct). 

My hubby and I were hearing other babies being wheeled across our room to the nursery for other checks after delivery and I have not feel any contraction at my end. You can hear the nurses running up and down the corridor rushing from one labor room to another to assist on the other patient's delivery and here I am (with my hubby), still waiting for a slight contraction. NOTHING......

Nothing until about 12pm when my contraction started. It was rather mild and not as I expected. Seriously, just like the regular menstruating cramps. Movies do exaggerate the pain!! Not until about 3.30pm when I started to have the massive attack! I was than dilated at about 7-8 cm. The nurses were asking me not to push yet as I am not fully dilated, but, the usual, you just have the urge. When I was about 9-9.5 cm dilated, the nurse asked me start pushing and the cervix will eventually dilate to full 10 cm. Until about 45 minutes - 1 hour, I was breathless and no sign of the baby even passing the fully dilated cervix. 

Dr Paul Tay (my Gynecologist) came and thought of doing a vacuum assistant. Unfortunately, my bladder was already swelling and Dr Paul was recommending for an emergency caesarian. My hubby already decided for a caesarian 1/2 hour ago after seeing my in labor... way before any recommendation!

So, finally, at about 5pm, I was wheeled into the operating theater for my caesarian. Boy, was I EXTREMELY tired. I can't even open my eyes. My hubby was with me all the way. When Luther was brought out of me, I was relieve, especially when I hear his 1st cry and when I gave him my (really really) quick kiss on the cheek before he was brought to the nursery.
1st look of Luther after birth
Luther Wo is born on 18 October 2011 at 5.55pm in Assunta Hospital, PJ.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Luther! Welcome to the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Was browsing the net and suddenly found your blog. 1st of all i would like to congrats on your new born. He look cute and adorable.
    2nd - i would like to know about doctor paul tay? I am around 6 weeks now and will be visiting him coming December. Could you please advise me?

    Thanks

    Celine Tang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celine,

    Not sure that you gotten my reply the last time.

    Congratulation! And thank you for the compliment. Luther is a beautiful baby.

    Dr Paul Tay. He is good. He gives very practical advises. Do be prepared that he have a lot of patients and usually we have to wait for about 1-2 hours.

    He will give you options and will leave the decision to you. But if you are a 1st time parent like me, you definitely have all the funny questions. He is patience enough to answer the questions and not shoo you off like some other doctors I heard from my friends. If you have any trouble or matters, you can ask him and he will try to assist you by giving practical & reasonable advises.

    I do recommend Dr Paul Tay to my friends as well.

    Do not hesitate to keep in contact when you need support and advises. Good to always have support when you are a 1st time parent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jojo,

    Could you please give me your email so that i can contact you personally.

    Well this will be my 2nd baby. The 1st one was a gal and she is 28 months ++ now.

    Thanks

    Celine Tang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Celine

    My email is joannekok@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete