Thursday, November 17, 2011

Breast vs. Formula

It is always the battle between the topic "breast feeding" or "formula". I can assure you that this WILL be the topic for most new mother and most of the time, you will resolve to tears making a decision.

Why do I say so? 
Well, I just experience this about 1 week ago. My 'Milk Factory' was probably going on a temporary strike with reduction in production and my baby Luther was crying (not yet hysterically) for feed. I was moving him from left breast to the right and left again but it seems like Luther is just not getting what he needs..... or rather not enough to fill his growing appetite (because he still managed to sleep for about an hour or so after that!!). I was still very composed! I was still very determine and fed him almost every 1 to 1.5 hour round the clock assuming Luther was just asking for more feed!

Just about 3 days ago, it got worst. I was pretty much engorged and yet the production was not up to standard (Luther's Standard). Basically, the demand do not meet the supply. Luther at times even resolves in sucking on his own arms/fingers (with mittens on).

I am hungry!

I was literally in tears thinking many things (as what some articles have mentioned):-
1. I am such a bad mother.
2. How can I have no milk for my own baby!
3. I want to give breast milk to my baby and I can't! WHY!!!!!!
4. I MUST give the best to my baby. I MUST give breast milk.
5. My little baby is starving and I can't even provide the simplest thing... food.

My hubby was very supportive and he said to me, "Darling, you need to rest and don't think about it. We can always feed him formula and when your supply comes back, we will switch back. And if not, formula isn't that bad! They have all the nutritional benefits. Don't worry!" My own mother was also offering her experiences. She said, "Aiyar, when I had you, I only have milk supply for 1 week. You were given formula after that. You came out good and strong!" I was definitely reluctant to bring formula into Luther's life so soon but I do not have a choice. 

He was sucking ferociously on each breast and yet, getting insufficient milk. He got frustrated and decided to stop sucking and started crying. He was really crying this time(hysterically!). You can be dead sure it's the sound of 'not enough food' type of cry. I started to panic and do not know what to do next, without thinking of immediately getting the formula (silly me!!), until my hubby insisted and with the assistance of the confinement lady (Aunty Meei Lai) and mom, got a bottle of formula for Luther. 

No need to guess. Luther immediately stop crying and started drinking the formula without hesitation (of course with a little 'complaining' in between sucks!). He was becoming a HAPPY BABY again....
My 1st bottle!
Now, we are feeding Luther both; Breast Milk and Formula. How? Switching between them to supplement each other and at the end, the most important thing achieved..... Luther gets the best out of both. I am no longer worried about him not having enough each feed. Just need to watch that he gets enough water in his system.

Source: http://stoneywageslave.wordpress.com/category/advertising/

1 comment:

  1. For me, I think it's fine ... Both my girls grew up with this mixture ... See how STRONG Claudia is ! Try hitting her butt, ur hand gets hurt first ! Seldom falls sick too...

    Just continue to BF whenever you can daily... Or try expressing out so that you can see how much he is drinking .... Easier to know if he is really hungry ..

    Anyway, not to worry U r DEFINITELY NOT a bad mother, u just wanted the BEST for him....

    ReplyDelete